Hey! you are unable to format the pen drive then don’t worry follow this article step by step. We will tell you how to solve this problem.
Many Users noticed that while trying to format a pen drive, USB drive, Memory card, External hard drive, etc are coming errors such as “Windows was unable to complete the format”. Whenever you try to format you get this type of error.
If your USB drive is out of storage or for some reason you want to format a USB drive then it will to the frustration of any users. if you are unable to format a pen drive or USB drive. First of all, let us know what is the root cause due to which this problem is coming.
Causes of Unable to Format USB Drive
If you are unable to format a USB drive then maybe one of the following causes of them-
- Bad Sector on drive.
- Virus infected in the drive.
- The device may be locked or write protected by third party software.
- Diffrent file system.
- Physically damaged, etc.
How to Fix “unable to format Pendrive” Windows 10/11
If your Pendrive is not formatting then follow the below method one by one to solve the issue-
Note:- You should take your USB drive backup before formatting the drive because after format all the data will delete.
1. Format USB Drive using Disk Management
To format the USB drive using disk management utility follow these easy steps-
STEP#1. Navigate to run by holding Windows+R keys.
STEP#2. Type diskmgmt.msc and press enter.
STEP#3. Right-click on removable drive and select format.
STEP#4. Select file system and click on ok.
STEP#5. Click on OK (Format Complete).
2. Try to Format Using Command Prompt
To format Pendrive using command prompt in Windows 11/10/8 follow these easy steps-
STEP#1. Navigate to Start and search cmd.
STEP#2. Run CMD as administrator and click yes on the windows prompt.
STEP#3. Type diskpart and press enter.
STEP#4. Next type list volume and hit enter.
STEP#5. Now you select the external Disk Using select volume 5 press Enter.
STEP#6. Now type format fs=ntfs or fat32 quick
If you want to Format this Drive on the NTFS partition then type NTFS. If you want to format Fat32 then use the fat32 command and Exit.
We hope your problem has been resolved. If the problem still persists then follow Method-3.
3. Remove write protection from USB drive
If you are getting an error “the disk is write protected” while formatting USB or Pen Drive then you should remove the write-protected from disk.
To remove write-protected from USB drive on Windows 11/10/8 using command prompt follow these steps-
STEP#1. Run CMD as administartor.
STEP#2. Now type the below command one by one, after each command press enter.
select disk 2 (Type your disk number from the list disk).
attributes disk clear readonly
STEP#3. After run, all the above commands follow any method1 or method 2 for formating a USB drive.
We hope your problem has been resolved. If the problem still persists then follow Method-4.
4. Try to Format Pen Drive using HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
If you are not able to format a pen drive or USB drive from the above steps, then you can try third-party software. HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is one of the best software via which you can easily do the format.
STEP#1. Click here to download HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.
STEP#2. After downloading the HP storage format tool, right-click on setup file and run as administrator.
STEP#3. Select your device, File system, and volume label.
STEP#4. Click on Start to format the USB drive.
We hope your problem has been resolved. If the problem still persists then follow Method-5.
5. Miscellaneous Solutions
- Scan your USB drive from antivirus and remove malware from the disk.
- Repair your USB disk may be bad sector on the disk.
To repair your drive follow these steps-
STEP#1. Right-click on the removable disk and select properties.
STEP#2. Navigate to the Tools tab and click on Check.
STEP#3. Click on repair drive.
STEP#4. Follow all the required steps.
- Replace or change your USB drive or Pen drive
After following all the above methods, if you are not able to format the pen drive. Them you should change or replace your USB drive. It may fault your USB drive.
So, This is all about the “Unable to Format the Pen Drive”. Please comment on this article. if you have any doubts and queries please Comments to us.
Similarly asked questions : Unable to Format the Pen Drive
- unable to format pen drive
- unable to format the pendrive
- windows unable to format pen drive
- windows unable to complete format pen drive
- can’t format pen drive
- unable to format pendrive in windows 10
- unable to format pen drive write protected
- unable to format pendrive showing write protected
- why my pendrive is not formatting
- not able to format pendrive disk is write protected
- windows was unable to complete the format pen drive windows 10
- unable to format pendrive in windows 7
- unable to format my pendrive
- unable to format usb flash drive write protected
- unable to format sandisk pendrive
- hp pen drive not formatting
- kingston pen drive unable to format
- how to solve the problem of write protected pen drive
- how to change pendrive to ntfs
- unable to format usb pen drive write protected
- unable to format pendrive ubuntu
- i am unable to format my pen drive
- windows was unable to complete the format pen drive solution cmd
- transcend pen drive unable to format
- windows was unable to complete the format pen drive windows 7
- how to fix usb flash drive windows cannot format
- windows was unable to complete the format pen drive solution
- windows was unable to complete format usb pen drive
- kingston 16gb pen drive unable to format
How to Format Pen Drive on Windows 10/8/7?
How to Make bootable Pendrive on easy ways.