In this blog, we will Discuss about what is MBR and GPT and how to Convert MBR to GPT .
What is MBR (Master Boot Record)?
Master Boot Record is a special record in hard disk via help Operating System boot-up. If you purchase a new Computer or Laptop then MBR record all the information about which location Operating System will be boot-up.
Master Boot Record (MBR) Developed by IBM with Dos 2.0 in 1983. Master Boot Record is a special boot sector located at beginning of the Hard Disk and also the First Sector of the drive.
Master Boot contains a Bootloader for installed Operating Systems. The bootloader also provides information about logical Drives like C, D, E, etc. Each and Every Drive have separately boot loader information.
All the information about the Operating System Boot Loader available in Boot Loader Sections of MBR. Master Boot Record become the Industry Standard used for partition and booting from Disks.
What is GPT (GUID Partition Table)?
GPT (GUID Partition Table) is the latest technique to partition of Hard drive with UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) firmware. UEFI is the replacement of BIOS (Basic Input Output Systems).
GPT provides a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) address to the hard drive.GPT is a new standard for the partition of Hard drive that’s gradually replacing with MBR because MBR supports a maximum of Partitions of up to 2TB whereas GPT supports a maximum of up to 18 Exabytes.
You need to Windows Vista 64 bits or the latest version of the Operating system and UEFI based Computer that can be boot from GPT Partition. If you want to read GPT partitions you need to the minimum required Windows XP 64 bits Operating System.
Why Should we Convert MBR to GPT?
GPT is the latest Partition type of Hard Disk that replacing MBR associated with UEFI. GPT will provide the largest size of Hard drive partitions that depend on its operating system and File Systems.
In GPT Partition you do not need to create extended partitions because GPT allows 128 partitions on GPT drive .
The main advantage to convert MBR to GPT because rarely chances of data loss because GPT stores multiple copies of data across the Disk. If any time data is corrupted can be easily recovered.
Note- Before converting your Drive MBR to GPT you should take a backup of the Hard Drive because erase all the data from Drive.
How to Convert MBR to GPT using Command Prompt?
- Power Off the PC and Boot up your computer from OS DVD or Bootable Pendrive.
- Press any Key after Prompt.
3. From Windows Setup Screen you click on ‘Repair Your Computer‘ or press Shift + F10 key to Open Command Prompt windows.
4. Select Command Prompt.
5. Type Diskpart in the command Prompt and Press Enter.
6. For reformat the Disk type List Disk and Enter.
7. To Select the Drive that want to Reformat by select Disk Command.
Example – select Disk 0
8. Now Type Clean and Press Enter.
9. For Convert MBR to GPT Type Convert GPT and Press Enter.
10. Type Exit and Press Enter.
11. If you want to install windows Close & Command Prompt windows….Countinue with windows Setup Process.
How to Convert MBR to GPT using Disk Management?
You need to Follow Following steps-
- Press Windows+R or RUN.
- Type Diskmgmt.msc.
Another way to Open Disk Management
Start< Control panel< Administrative tools< Double Click on Computer Management< Select Disk Management.
Note:- You must delete all partitions before convert MBR to GPT.
3. Right Click on Disk and Select Convert to GPT.
4. Once this process will be completed then you received conformations message.
5. Now you can create GPT partitions according to your requirements.
Thanks For reading Have A Nice Day-
You May Also Read-